PROJECT REPORT FOR DAIRY FARM WITH FIFTY MURRAH BUFFALOES
Buffalo farming is a profitable business & has good potential for employment generation . India has 57% of world buffalo population. Buffalo milk contributes 57% of total milk production. Buffaloes have several advantages over crossbred cows as farm animal.
1-They are well adopted to agro-climatic condition of our country
2-They are more disease resistant in comparison to crossbred cows. (less incidence of milk fever & mastitis in buffaloes)
3-They can thrive well on crop residue
5-Buffalo milk contains more butter fat for which the price of buffalo milk is more.
This project report is based on following assumptions:-
• Freshly calved murrah female buffaloes in 1st or 2nd lactation will be purchased in two batches of twenty-five animals each/batch at an interval of 5 to 6 months.
• Availability of 10 acres of land for fodder cultivation is prerequisite for the project,
• Dung produced will be utilized as Manure for fodder cultivation.
• Cost of rearing calves not considered as it will be repealed by their sale
• In case of death of adult animal new buffalo will be purchased from insurance claim money.
· Heifers will be used as replacement stocks
• The scheme will be successful on the above guidelines if run by the dairy farmer on scientific lines.
Housing for buffaloes:-loose housing system (open type) will be adopted for the farm as it is superior to conventional bran in terms of milk production & growth. Construction cost is lower & heat detection for buffaloes is easier in this type of housing. In loose housing system animals are kept loose except milking and at the time of treatment. Details of floor space requirement (open & covered area)is given in techno economic parameters. A photograph of loose housing buffalo dairy farm is given below
Murrah Buffalo farm NDRI Karnal
DAILY FEEDING AND COST CHART FOR DAIRY BUFFALOES
Lactation chart/Dry chart
Before entering in to dairy business the entrepreneurs are advised to undergo a training on dairy farming. They can contact Local Animal Husbandry Department staffs/Veterinary College/agriculture university etc. for the purpose. They should also visit progressive dairy farmers and government/ agricultural university dairy farm in the locality. They must check the following points before starting a dairy farm.
1. Availability of good quality murrah buffaloes in nearby livestock market
2. Nearness of the Farm to Veterinary Hospital, Artificial Insemination Center/livestock Aid Centers, MPCS
3. Marketing facility of milk and milk product in the locality
4. Availability of concentrates ,fodder & medicine in that locality.